We don’t know about you, but over the holiday season we indulged in decadent sweet treats and savoury foods. Striving for balance in the New Year, we are focusing on resetting the digestive system and gently detoxifying the body with whole foods.
Spirulina is a superfood superstar for its long list of health benefits and the endless ways to use. It seems fitting for January that one of our favourite benefits of this blue-green algae is detoxification! Spirulina helps to balance the body and has exceptional detoxification properties. This potent blue-green algae nourishes the body with a wide array of nutrients while supporting the three main organs of elimination (the colon, liver and kidneys).
SPIRULINA FOR DETOXIFICATION:
- Contains high levels of chlorophyll, which helps to naturally remove heavy metal accumulation in the body from the foods we eat and our drinking water.
- Is a source of B vitamins, vitamin E, selenium and potent antioxidants like phycocyanin and beta-carotene to help fight free radical damage and protect cell damage.
- Supports the digestive system by promoting microflora balance in the intestines and increasing good bacteria that can help to combat symptoms of leaky gut and candida.
Heal and protect your body from the inside out with this simple Coconut Pear Smoothie from The Chalkboard Mag. Sip this nutrient-dense smoothie for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up and notice how refreshed and revitalized you feel!
This smoothie is a detoxification hero! The combination of protein (spirulina), greens (spinach), lower-sugar fruit (pear) and healthy fats (coconut butter) will leave you feeling balanced, refreshed and satiated. We’re loving pears in this recipe – for the flavour and wellness benefits! They contain less sugar than richer tropical fruits, support healthy detoxification and offer an array of anti-inflammatory properties. Pears are also a great source of fiber (a necessary nutrient for detoxification).
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 pear, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 ½ cups coconut water or nut milk of choice
- 1 tbsp of SpiraVeg fresh spirulina
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- 3-4 ice cubes (optional)
- Add pear, avocado, spinach, coconut butter coconut water and ice cubes to
blender + blitz until smooth.
- Add 1 tbsp of SpiraVeg to your smoothie and stir well.
- Enjoy! Comment below and let us know if you give this recipe a try!